How Americans can get Korean driver’s license

According to the Korean Driver’s Licensing Agency, if you are staying in Korea for more than 90 days and have registered as a foreigner, you can exchange your U.S. driver’s license for a Korean license if you submit a notarized affidavit personally attesting to your U.S. license’s validity and state of origin. Please note that the U.S. Embassy cannot certify the authenticity of your U.S. driver’s license. However, if you have a valid, unexpired U.S. driver’s license, you may get a notarized affidavit. Please note that as of December 31, 2011, this is a service only available to U.S. citizens. The U.S. Embassy in Seoul will no longer provide notarized affidavits to non-U.S. citizens for driver’s licenses.


Please make an appointment to appear at the Embassy with your valid, unexpired U.S. driver’s license, your passport for identification, and money for the $50 notarial fee.

For more information on how to obtain a Korean driver’s license, please visit the Korean Driver’s License Agency’s Website: For a sample affidavit, please click here:

3 replies
  1. joe says:

    oh! so that’s why it was so easy! except for the part of going to seoul to get the affidavit. only an eye test and a quick exchange!

  2. Terri Davis says:

    My license expired in October so I have to take the test to get a Korean license. Hopefully I can take care of it during the rest of vacation!

  3. Kimchi Green says:

    In a few months we will be selling our Kimchi on-line for those of you who aren’t as adventuresome as some to actually take on the crazy task of making it yourself. Mrs. Kim has been making delicious Kimchi all her life and my brother and I thought we’d share our joy with Americans. Her brand will be called Kimchi Green. Follow us on Facebook, just search Kimchi Green. Thanks!


Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!